Another highly influential video tutorial with Diana Ali, She is the most efficient, effective and self driven person I know.
The outcome of the report was;
• New confidence in handling paint and interpreting my surroundings.
• Worked with technical aspects to my advantage.
• Showing an openness to new ideas and new mediums.
Things to resolve before assessment;
• The straw in Assignment 4/5 (1st attempt) needs to be attached in a different way to the board. It needs to be embedded with the composition.
• Consider renaming your work, when you spell something out such as ‘Microbiology study’ the viewer becomes less engaged.
• Need more studies to show creative thinking behind the exercises.
• Keep questioning your own work and the work of others, If you don’t have the answers, that’s OK as it shows thinking about possibilities.
• When being self critical, think about how that will move you forward, don’t be so negative in your blog (pessimistic).
• Make blog images bigger and add in background images so it’s bright and colourful like myself.
• Foe assessment; Lay out all work, pick out pieces that show a variety of techniques and breadth of skills.
Areas to reflect upon;
• Assignment work 1-4 still quite flat with tonal qualities and light. Have focused more on the development of semi abstraction and techniques of working with other mater.
• Assignment 2-3 are verging on being too easy to abstract and not connecting with the rest of the series. The balance of progression within a series of works, needs to consider the elements.
• Assignment 5, final image has resolved the above concerns with layers of colours, texture, focal point and the size helps to balance the progression and give the work purpose. This envelopes an understanding of paint and gives a sense of a scene.
• Writing is in-depth and a journey of progression has been documented well, self reflective throughout.
Alberto Burri- Artist that burns plastics
Yinka Shonibare- Textile artist.
Really pleased I have been able to move away from pictorial representation but still able to convey a sense of place. I would like to build on the works I have created over the past 16 months with this new confidence. I am much more aware of what is required from me as a student and I must remeber to question certain directions so to gain more breadth of possibilities. Moving forward I would like to set up a Web site and Facebook page so to become more connected online, not just with other students but with a wider audience. I would like to exhibit some work but I don’t have enough commercial pieces yet so it would have to be a collaborative show. This stage of my art education and past retail management skills are sliding together like tectonic plates, I normally try to keep the two areas apart because I become overly influenced by the audience.